We are a group of the Society for Creative Anachronism, an organization dedicated to the study and re-creation of pre-17th century Europe and its connected cultures. The organization has several different areas activities that we study and re-create.
Martial activities include armored combat, rapier combat, thrown weapons, archery, and even siege weapons. All of which are carefully marshaled (refereed) and trained using activity-appropriate armor (personal protection) and weapons to maximize safety of the participants.
Arts & Sciences include nearly any craft or skill that would have been used on a regular basis to create items such as spinning, sewing, leather working, blacksmithing, cooking, embroidery, bead making, calligraphy, illumination, music, dancing, and many, many others.
Protocols, Service, and Niceties are what creates the basic atmosphere of the SCA and its activities. Bowing to the the King and/or Queen, carrying things for royalty, helping your camping neighbor or group set up their tent(s), and the “thank-yous” for the assistance help to make the SCA a great place to spend ones free time.
The Canton of the March of the Marshes, is located in Bowling Green, Ohio and is a part of the Barony of Red Spears (northwest Ohio) within the Kingdom of the Middle (part of the Midwest in the United States). For more map information, check out: Middle Kingdom Cartographer’s page or SCA Geography page.
Announcements from Last Meeting (11-2-2017)
- Exchequer update by Raffaele da Cernia:
- There is an ongoing problem with signatories on the March account. As well as a temporary hold on creating new accounts as a change over occurs at the SCA corporate level. Access to group funds will be difficult at best until one or the other can get resolved. Luckily, it is the groups slow time financially.
- A financial policy needs to be written and in place for all SCA groups. A preliminary (proposed) financial policy has been drafted by Raffele. A paper copy was made availible at the meeting and is availble online for everyone to be able to review and provide feedback on for rewrites and to be voted upon at the next business meeting.
- Kate has the A&S book as Gabrielle was not able to make it to the meeting. Please enter your completed projects so they can be reported.
- The Christmas Largesse exchange will have the names drawn next Thursday (November 9). Please have your gifts ready for exchange by December 22 or be in touch with your recipient if it is not ready by then.
- Yule Feast!! (December 9)
- Both Her Majesty and Her Highness will be in attendance. Add some fun service to your day by volunteering to retain for them or guard the royalty room.
- Her Excellency, Mistress Helewyse will be heading up feast this year. Bring your appetites!
- Volunteers are also needed at gate to make sure it remains staffed by two people at all times.
- If you wish to teach a class, contact Tiramala (Molly) to get a class space and time. Also copy in Charity so the class information can be added to the web site as soon as possible.
- The web site and facebook announcement is coming (update: is up as of the evening of November 6): http://www.midrealm.org/hrothgeirsfjordr/
- The next Red Spears Baronial meeting will be held on November 19th in the meeting room of Buffalo Wild Wings in Bowling Green
- If you have not received an award medallion with your award, please see His Excellency, Master Konrad as he has been busily casting new ones.