We are a group of the Society for Creative Anachronism, an organization dedicated to the study and re-creation of pre-17th century Europe and its connected cultures. The organization has several different areas activities that we study and re-create.
Martial activities include armored combat, rapier combat, thrown weapons, archery, and even siege weapons. All of which are carefully marshaled (refereed) and trained using activity-appropriate armor (personal protection) and weapons to maximize safety of the participants.
Arts & Sciences include nearly any craft or skill that would have been used on a regular basis to create items such as spinning, sewing, leather working, blacksmithing, cooking, embroidery, bead making, calligraphy, illumination, music, dancing, and many, many others.
Protocols, Service, and Niceties are what creates the basic atmosphere of the SCA and its activities. Bowing to the the King and/or Queen, carrying things for royalty, helping your camping neighbor or group set up their tent(s), and the “thank-yous” for the assistance help to make the SCA a great place to spend ones free time.
The Canton of the March of the Marshes, is located in Bowling Green, Ohio and is a part of the Barony of Red Spears (northwest Ohio) within the Kingdom of the Middle (part of the Midwest in the United States). For more map information, check out: Middle Kingdom Cartographer’s page or SCA Geography page.
Announcements from Last Meeting (7-5-2018)
- Uthan – Baronial Seneschal – the next baronial meeting will be on July 15th at Uthan’s home. Meeting time will be 3pm, but folks are welcome to begin arriving at 2pm. Archery and thrown weapons activities can be accomadated there and next year’s Day of Ranged Weapons will begin planning.
- Rowland – Pounce comes up quickly after Pennsic. If you would like to teach a class, please see the Pounce website for more information.
- Gabrielle – A&S next week: Projecting for Pennsic!
- Raffaele (exhequer) – Baron Wars netted $270 in profit. If you would like more information on the financial status of the group, please contact him.
- Hrothgar – It has been noticed that names have been dropping off of (out of) the Marshal’s Database. Please double check your information is in there if you utilize this to prove your authorizations.
- Uthan – Baron Wars next year: the fairgrounds has allowed us to roll over our deposit once again for next year and they have reserved equestrian areas for our group. Unfortunately, new rules in Wood County/Bowling Green will require a [very expensive] per day license if there is to be *any* alcohol on site for events. Plus, the new building’s rental cost has not been set yet.
There will also be re-opening looking into and negotiating with Ghost Town (approved unanimously through a vote).
- Aislin – Is still trying to communicate with the City Park District to see about extending our time with them since the demolition of the Veteran’s Building appears to be delayed.
But we can’t wait just in case an extension of the contract is not possible.