We are a group of the Society for Creative Anachronism, an organization dedicated to the study and re-creation of pre-17th century Europe and its connected cultures. The organization has several different areas activities that we study and re-create.
Martial activities include armored combat, rapier combat, thrown weapons, archery, and even siege weapons. All of which are carefully marshaled (refereed) and trained using activity-appropriate armor (personal protection) and weapons to maximize safety of the participants.
Arts & Sciences include nearly any craft or skill that would have been used on a regular basis to create items such as spinning, sewing, leather working, blacksmithing, cooking, embroidery, bead making, calligraphy, illumination, music, dancing, and many, many others.
Protocols, Service, and Niceties are what creates the basic atmosphere of the SCA and its activities. Bowing to the the King and/or Queen, carrying things for royalty, helping your camping neighbor or group set up their tent(s), and the “thank-yous” for the assistance help to make the SCA a great place to spend ones free time.
The Canton of the March of the Marshes, is located in Bowling Green, Ohio and is a part of the Barony of Red Spears (northwest Ohio) within the Kingdom of the Middle (part of the Midwest in the United States). For more map information, check out: Middle Kingdom Cartographer’s page or SCA Geography page.
NOTE: March of the Marshes meetings will be on hiatus until the new site is available. Until then, practices will continue to be available Tuesdays from 7:00pm-10:00pm at Hróthgeirsfjörðr meetings at Park Church (1456 Harvard Blvd, Toledo, OH 43614) and monthly business meetings (first Thursdays) will be announced as soon as the meeting place is scheduled.
Notes from Business Meeting May 16, 2019
- Margherita – for Drust & Fen’s Keep: request use of new A&S pavilion for MK50Year and Pennsic. Vote: None opposed.
- Social Media Officer – it’s a bit more than just being an admin of Facebook and is an independent office. If anyone is interested, please contact Margherita for information or to apply email firstname.lastname@example.org as this office reports to the group seneschal. Proposed vote for this position is June’s Meeting.
- Deputy Webminister – if you would like to learn a bit of web development and help out the group, please email: email@example.com
- Bronwyn is the Royalty Liason for Baron Wars. Please contact her to volunteer with retaining and general service for the Kingdom’s Royalty that will be attending.
- New meeting site discussion: The building at Wood County Fairgrounds costs the fairgrounds $200/month which needs to be considered for our proposal.
Notes from Special Meeting April 4, 2019
- Aislin – Sleek Academy has pretty much fallen though for a meeting site. The group needs to renew the search. Please, everyone get involved – more ideas mean better options for the group. Olivier brought up a meeting space at Pearl & Maple streets & is waiting for a call back. Uthan is looking into a building at the Wood County Fairgrounds.
- Uthan – Bid for Baron Wars: overall cost 1950, activities more condensed toward the front (Poe rd.), need to be off site by midnight Saturday (no Sunday), discussion about horses decided against it, Friday night rapier party building will be the only time & place alcohol is allowed, Liberty Township will provide the food.
Vote: no votes opposed – bid approved