Meeting About the Big Fab Lab (4-25-2018)
- Aislin – We are going to have a small meeting after business meeting (5-3-2018) for those who are interested in talking about the Fab Lab meeting place.
If you want to be there make sure you tell me [Aislin] so I can make sure to include you – or message me your questions/comments.
- If you have a suggestion for our next meeting place, please contact Aislin with the information.
Announcements from Last Meeting (4-5-2018)
- Gabrielle (Liz Poulson) – Baron Wars will be needing people to volunteer for shifts in retaining and working gate. Please contact donate some of your time to make our event exceptional!
She is also putting together the list of classes, so if you are or want to tech at Baron Wars let her know and get information about your class to her.
Also for Baron Wars belt favors are currently being made as site tokens. They are currently in the assembly stage to be followed by paint stamping a fun design.
- Beatrix – She is stepping down as Red Spears Chatelaine after several years of service (Thank You Bea!) and Olivier has been voted into that position. Please contact him for Chatelaine-y stuff.
She is also stepping up as one of the Deputy Regional Chatelaines for North Oaken. Congratulations! First official business – please get your reports in on time so your next level up can get theirs done on time. Thanks!
Baron Wars – Beatrix will be running a combined Newcomers/Info Point which will need people to volunteers to man it. Also, she will be coordinating a raffle oriented toward items newcomers might use, so if you have feast gear, brooches, or anything a person new to the SCA could use which you are willing to part with, please get it to her.
- Olivier – is the new Chatelaine for the Barony of Red Spears! Please get your reports in on time so he is able to do the same.
In addition to volunteering some time at Baron Wars, #PennsicIsComing! Please consider volunteering at Newcomer’s Point this year – bonuses include shaded area near Gate, possible power to charge phones, and helping guide folks who are brave enough to make Pennsic one of their first events.
- Ari – Woodworking Wednesdays! Their house will be hosting open house projecting on Wednesday evenings where there’s a woodworking shop and plenty of space to set up tents, etc.
- Rowland – is coordinating a Bardic Circle at Baron Wars to be held near the Turkish Cafe. Contact him if you’d like to help out and/or perform
- Aislin – The Big Fab Lab still hosts open house activities on Thursdays from 6-8pm. Stop by to check it out as a possible new meeting location, or for the fun things that they have.
Recommendations are still being taken/entertained for new meeting space as the park will be demolishing the Veteran’s Building where we currently meet.
- Raffaele – (exchequer monthly report) the group currently has approximately $14,000 in the bank which has switched from Huntington to 5/3rd Bank as it is more amenable to the SCA’s needs.
- His Excellency Konrad – Day of Ranged Weaponry is regrettably cancelled due to poor site conditions and weather preditions.
Merlin’s Merry Minions will be the next event in the barony and baronial court with the archery and thrown weapons champions also chosen there.
Meeting Notes from (3-8-2018)
- Raffaele (Exchequer) -new bank account at Fifth Third Bank has passed corporate level and is getting set up – this should be completed in the next week or so
- Beatrix de Vezelay – is teaching an introductory scribal class tonight so come learn & play! She is also running Information/Newcomer’s Point at Baron Wars this year. She is looking for folks to volunteer an hour or so of their time to help out and donations for basic feast gear for a raffle.
- Olivier (Chatelaine) – Baron Wars Royalty Liason: retaining shifts schedule will happen soon. Marche of the Marshes Chatelaine – Olivier will be vacating the Marche Chatelaine position to take over the Red Spears baronial Chatelaine position. If you are interested in taking over the Marche Chatelaine position, please contact Aislin de Tanet.
- Gabrielle (MoAS) – is working on making favors to be stamped for Baron Wars 20 site tokens. The goal is to make 1000 tokens so please everyone help out as much as possible. Baron Wars is still in need of a head gatekeeper – contact Gabrielle or Uthan if interested. The A&S report is due at the end of March so please let her know what you have been doing. This year’s A&S challenge: learn one new thing, learn it in depth, and possibly even teach it to someone else.
- Baron Konrad – Day of Ranged Weaponry is coming up in April. This is a donation only event, so it’s great for bringing new people. Get award recommendations in by St. Patrick’s Day, unless you are volunteering to do the scroll for the award yourself. As always, Middle Kingdom awards can be put in at any time – now is a great time to start submitting for Baron Wars.
- Request by Guillieme for Day of Ranged Weapons: Barony would like to use the Regent and A&S tent for the event in April. Voted on: none opposed.
- Aislin (Seneschal) – will be contacting various suggested places for new meeting space for the Marche. If you have an idea for a new place, please get information about it to Aislin as soon as possible.
- Rowland – Merlin’s Merry Minions is May 19. This is an archery focused event with some rapier and cut & thrust. Camping is available, but you Must R.S.V.P. to camp! Check out the event web site for more details.
- Kate (Fjordr MoAS) – Tuesday (3/13/18) at the Fjordr meeting they will be making baklava under the direction of Myriah. Come out to make yummy stuff.
Meeting Notes from (2-1-2018)
- Gaivs the Mad is stepping down as Knight’s Marshal for the canton and Hrothgar Varghoss-GreyWolf has volunteered to replace him in that position. Hrothgar was voted in with no opposition.
- Aislin: Tonight we are accepting bids, discussing, and voting on Baron Wars event stewards and budgets.
The Bowling Green Parks office has gotten back to Aislin with the cost ($600) for the Veteran’s Building through July. A vote to approve the payment of $600 for use of the building passed with no opposition.
We are still on the hunt for a new meeting place. The Big Fab Lab requires every person entering their place to have a membership (see bigfablab.com). Also there was some discussion of meeting outside of the Big Fab Lab in the mall. Other options for meeting space are, as always, quite welcome.
- Baron Wars Bids: Gabrielle and Uthan submitted a bid proposal for Baron Wars to be at the Wood County Fairgrounds again this year with a few modifications. Archery will be held in the fenced field of the grandstand (this will meet with all local rules/ordinances and allow the activity to be outdoors), the arena and buildings for equestrian activities and housing will be available to us this year, several porta-johns will be added this year for convenience, and RV camping with electric and water will be available. Given that there were no other bids submitted, Raffaele moved that we vote for this bid, seconded by El’Aria. The motion to accept Uthan and Gabriella’s bid for Baron Wars at the Wood County Fairgrounds again passed with a vote of 12 for and 0 against.
- Raffaele provided the Marche’s exchequer report having completed the doomsday and confirmed that the groups has funds to support the Baron Wars bid. (Specifics were announced in the meeting. If you were not able to be there and would like to know the specific account balance, etc., please contact the exchequer – Raffaele.)
- Gabriella: There is currently no class scheduled for next week (second thursday of February), however Beatrix will be teaching how to do scrolls/illumination in March. The class is open to everyone, but if you have supplies for scroll work (bristol, paints, brushes, pencils, erasers, rulers, water cups, paper towels, etc.) please bring them.
- Hrothgar will be doing a “wrap class” after tonight’s business meeting.
- Margherita as the local webminister is in need of a deputy. If you are interested in working with the group’s “web stuff”, specifically WordPress, please contact her.
- His Excellency Konrad had an announcement from the baronial meeting that the positions of baronial chronicler and baronial chatelaine are open. Please see the baronial seneschal if you are interested or would like more information.
Meeting Notes from (1-4-2018)
- Gabrielle – There are currently no A&S classes scheduled for this year. If there is something you are interested in learning or would like to teach, please contact her.
She is challenging everyone to pick one thing that is new to them and spend the year learning about it and doing the new activity to gain a new skill.
- Raffaele – Vote in a new Financial Committee Officer which is needed in addition to the group exchequer and seneschal. Volunteering were: Gabrielle, Craidth, and Anna Baker. In a close vote, Gabrielle was voted into the position. Basic report: Although we do have money in the bank, the signatories are sorely out of date. Because of this and the difficulty in adding signatories to Huntington’s accounts, the group’s funds will be inaccessible until the move to 5/3 bank is completed. The process is currently on hold at the Society level until a change of officer at that level is completed.
- Aislin – Official paperwork for renewing the Veteran’s Building rental is in the works for the first half of this year. The cost will be presented to be voted on once she hears from the Park District to know what it is.
Please keep looking for and bringing in information for a new meeting place as the City Park’s buildings will be demolished in the middle of this year.
Baron Wars needs to start spinning up, so if you have a site and/or would like to present a bid for Baron Wars please have it ready as soon as possible!
- Olivier – Challenge for Gold Key: it’s a great time to go through your garb and donate anything to group Gold Key that is still in good shape but you just don’t wear anymore. Also, Kingdom is reporting a decline in new people joining our fun organization. Please remember we are all ambassadors for this wonderful hobby of ours!
- Margherita – a former SCAdian and friend of mine works in a nursing home in Perrysburg. If you have a presentation or activity you would like to share with the folks there, let me know so I can get you two in touch.
Meeting Notes from (12-7-2017)
- Gabrielle proposed a budget for updating the group’s gold key at $450. The cost would purchase materials to make four men’s, four women’s, and four children’s outfits each of a different size. The proposed styles are basic t-tunic and pants or basic t-tunic style dresses. The proposal also includes the cost of having the chatelaine emblem embroidered onto the pieces to identify it as gold key garb.
- Yule Feast this weekend! Yay fun! Brangwyne still has a few open retainer and guard slots open for direct service to Her Highness and Her Majesty who will be in attendance.
- Financial Policy vote. A paper copy of the proposed March financial policy was made available to folks and reviewed for comments or corrections before a group vote. There was no resistance to voting in the whole document as proposed. The proposed policy was voted in unanimously.
- Gabrielle reminded the group of the populace A&S competition and Baronial Champion A&S competition are to be held Saturday at Yule Feast. Paperwork to fill out for each competition will be available if you need it.
- The Veteran’s Building in the City Park that we meet in has been confirmed to be demolished next August. Any suggestions for potential meeting sites should be directed to the Aislin, the Marche seneschal.
Meeting Notes from 11-2-2017
- Exchequer update by Raffaele da Cernia:
- There is an ongoing problem with signatories on the March account. As well as a temporary hold on creating new accounts as a change over occurs at the SCA corporate level. Access to group funds will be difficult at best until one or the other can get resolved. Luckily, it is the groups slow time financially.
- A financial policy needs to be written and in place for all SCA groups. A preliminary (proposed) financial policy has been drafted by Raffele. A paper copy was made availible at the meeting and is availble online for everyone to be able to review and provide feedback on for rewrites and to be voted upon at the next business meeting.
- Canton of the Marche of the Marshes Financial Policy (proposed)
- Kate has the A&S book as Gabrielle was not able to make it to the meeting. Please enter your completed projects so they can be reported.
- The Christmas Largesse exchange will have the names drawn next Thursday (November 9). Please have your gifts ready for exchange by December 22 or be in touch with your recipient if it is not ready by then.
- Yule Feast!! (December 9)
- Both Her Majesty and Her Highness will be in attendance. Add some fun service to your day by volunteering to retain for them or guard the royalty room.
- Her Excellency, Mistress Helewyse will be heading up feast this year. Bring your appetites!
- Volunteers are also needed at gate to make sure it remains staffed by two people at all times.
- If you wish to teach a class, contact Tiramala (Molly) to get a class space and time. Also copy in Charity so the class information can be added to the web site as soon as possible.
- The web site and facebook announcement is coming (update: is up as of the evening of November 6): http://www.midrealm.org/hrothgeirsfjordr/
- The next Red Spears Baronial meeting will be held on November 19th in the meeting room of Buffalo Wild Wings in Bowling Green
- If you have not received an award medallion with your award, please see His Excellency, Master Konrad as he has been busily casting new ones.
Meeting Notes from 10-12-2017
- It would be nice to see dance night happening again. If anyone has music or interest in learning and/or leading a dance or two, let’s get together and start it up again.
- A&S is starting the last quarter of the year. Remember the A&S Challenge set forth at the beginning of the year by Gabrielle. See her if you need a refresher.
- At Yule Feast a new Red Spears Baronial A&S Champion will be chosen. See Their Excellencies and/or Gabrielle for more information about competing.
- Holiday Largesse exchange will be happening again this year. See Gabrielle (or her designated representative) at March meetings to fill out a card with your information. On November 9th cards will be randomly given out for those participating in the exchange.
- Ari has issued an A&S challenge for Yule Feast – create two items: one for your self and one to be given as a gift. This pairs nicely with the largesse exchange.
- Gold Key – let’s think about improvements
- Rapier Champions Kit improvements – Darkwood Armory website has an online donation available for a gift certificate under Red Spears. Note: the web page for donations automatically says $10 no matter what you specify, but the actual donations are run manually and will be charged correctly as you specifiy.
- Sylvie will be teaching an illumination class.
No meeting in August due to Pennsic
Meeting Notes from 7-6-2017
- Pennsic pity party at Captain’s place August 6
- Voted to waive fee for Iosobail’s using a tent at Pennsic
- Developing and implementing better communication of where tents will be and when
Meeting Notes from 6-1-2017
- Aislin de Tanet voted in as group seneschal
Meeting Notes from 5-4-2017
- Web minister was unable to attend the meeting.
Meeting Notes from 4-6-2017
- Deb’s view of seneschal role – keep the group legal & keep things happening
- Classes this month – Myriah is teaching us about pickles. Yum!
- Money for stuff – if there is equipment/things for the group that you feel need updated or purchased, feel free to make a plan to raise the money to do so and work with the seneschal to coordinate a good time to make this happen.
- Blackstone Raids – as of today there are still beds available in the two rooms we have reserved. See Margherita (Margaret) if you would like space in the cabin. The rates have raised this year to $20 per bed for the weekend. Food discussion to come.
- Website – Margaret is maintaining, updates are coming.
- Dance Master/Mistress – we need someone to lead dances and make sure we have music the third Thursday of every month if we are to continue our historical dance night.
- Persuivant – this is not a necessary position for the canton and we are currently covered under the baronial persuivant
- Marche Charter – the canton officers are currently researching and working on a charter for the canton
- Tents for Day of Ranged Weaponry – passed unanimously
- March library (donate the current library to the barony to be housed and supervised by the chronicler) – discussion indicates that the group is okay with this being proposed at the next baronial meeting
- Release meeting space for the Thursday of Thanksgiving (propose not meeting that evening) – passed unanimously
- Thursday before Baron Wars (June 22, 2017): propose no regular meeting instead an event prep work night – passed unanimously
- Hard closes for gate at events is a change that has been implemented, so observe gate close times as you plan for events
- Gate for pounce – welcoming volunteers
- Paperwork for donations – remember this is a not for profit organization that you can donate time and things to for tax write offs. Contact the seneschal for the group receiving the donation for help with the appropriate paperwork
- Francis (Frank Welter) is the new Baronial Chatelaine
- Day of Ranged Weaponry will have a potato bar for lunch with 70 servings available total. Thank you to those who are donating many yummy toppings!
Meeting Notes from 3-2-2017
- Winter War Maneuvers is this Saturday! (3-4-2017) Get on out and have fun!
- Reminder: Gabrielle (Liz) has an A&S challenge for us this year: Complete just one project each quarter and report it to her. Let’s do this!
- Beatrix announced that it is time that she opens up the Baronial Chatelaine position and Bil followed up with the fact that the next Baronial Meeting will be March 26 at BW3 in Bowling Green.
- Oliver will be teaching how to make demo boxes at next week’s meeting so we can all have our own demo box ready in time for the Oregonfest demo on May 21, 2017.
- Molly requested the use of the 14 by 14 tent with fly for use at Gulf Wars. It passed unanimously.
- Regarding the baronial polling, Bea and Bil have the videos of the candidates if anyone wishes to view them this evening. Each pair will be played only once in the interest of time.
- Result of tonight’s new March Seneschal vote: Deb Mansor is the new seneschal – Congratulations Deb! Also thanks to Eric Crimmins for your service to the group.
Meeting Notes from 2-2-2017
- Ronan will be stepping down as March seneschal with the candidate review and vote at the next business meeting in March (3-2-2017).
Update (Message via Marshes-Reed Yahoo! group): (2-17-2017)
Good Morning Everyone,
To this date three members of the canton have expressed interest to serving the group as the next Seneschal. They are Lady Aislin de Tanet (Sarah Sexton), Lady Deborah the Cupbearer (Debra Mansor), and Francis (Frank Welter).
Thanks to all of them for their commitment to the future of the Marche. Should you have any questions for them please speak with them over the next two weeks. We will have a vote at the next Canton business meeting on Thursday March 2nd. Normally meetings sort of happen at some point during the night but we’ll keep this as close to 8PM as possible.
This announcement was shared on the Marche of the Marshes facebook group just prior to this e-mail.
Ronan mac Eoganain
mka Eric Crimmins
- Francis (Frank W.), the Baronial Historian, has volunteered to take on the March library from (Heather P.)
- Next week is an A&S class with Myriah teaching us about some yummy food! Update: Done 2-9-2017
- If you have any classes you would like to see, or teach, at Baron Wars this year, please contact Gabrielle (Liz P.)
- Tuesday at the Fjordr meeting we will have a visiting warder, Marcos. Come on out to play and learn! Update: Life happened. Future date: TBD